Hiring Announcements

Forestry Technician Permanent Position Announcements for the 2024 fire season are OPEN in USAJOBS. 

All positions close September 29th

Supervisory Helitack Manager, PFT GS 9 - 24-FIRE-P1GVA-HLTKMGR-9DH

Supervisory Assistant Helitack Manager, PFT GS 7/8 - 24-FIRE-P1GVA-HTKASST-78DH

Helitack Squad Leader, PSE 18/8 GS 6/7 - 24-FIRE-P1GVA-HTKSQLR-67DH

Senior Firefighter, PSE 13/13 GS 5 - 24-FIRE-P1GVA-HTKSRFF-45DH

Firefighter, PSE 13/13 GS 3/4 - 24-FIRE-P1R36OCR-FFTR-34DH 

 If you interested in a position for this upcoming season, please fill out the employment interest form and we will be in contact with you via email. Thank you!

Announcements for Temporary Positions will be open 9/21 through 10/9.

Links will be posted here when available.

If you are the kind of person that is highly self-motivated, has a passion for physical fitness, enjoys the outdoors, and has a few years of wildland fire experience under your belt, then we are looking for you. If flying to work and fighting fire in some of the most remote and beautiful areas in the United States sounds like fun, fill out the form below and we will be in contact with you.  We are interested in candidates that are qualified as FFT1, ICT5 and or HECM, but will make exceptions for trainee applicants. We also value having qualified EMT's and WFR's on our crew. If you have any questions call Shane Dillavou at 541-377-2403.

USA Job Instructions

Interested applicants will need to create a profile on USA Jobs and build or upload a resume. All applications for the Grande Ronde Rappellers must be submitted via USA Jobs.

 How to apply

1. Go to USAJOBS - The Federal Government's official employment site 

2. Create an account

3. Build/create your profile

4 Search and Apply for jobs

To apply for the Grande Ronde Rappellers:

On the USAJobs Site, search the job announcement number or suppression, GS-4 or 5, temp positions. 

This query will bring up several options to choose from. On the left hand side of the screen there are filters you can choose to narrow your search. For example you can fine tune your search by selecting the GS level you're applying for. 

Once you find the correct job announcement "click on it" this will take you to an overview page that will have information regarding the position. In the top right hand side of the screen will be an "Apply Online" option, click it. 

You will then be prompted to upload a resume if you haven't added one to your profile already. When your resume is attached click the "apply now" link on the bottom of the page. This will take you to a Forest Service website that will have 2 different qualification pages that you will have to complete. The first is core qualification and the second is minimum qualifications. In this portion of the process you will also be prompted to specify a location of employment. Click La Grande, OR for the Grande Ronde Rappellers.

Follow the prompts to complete the Occupational Questionnaire and attach any additional documents that may be required. You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. Simply log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Update Application” to continue.

The following documents must be submitted to constitute a complete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure that all required documents are received within the required timeframes. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, delays in the mail service etc. Failure to submit required, legible documents will result in elimination from consideration.

·       Resume that includes the following information: 1) job information for which you are applying; 2) personal information; 3) education; 4) work experience; and 5) other qualifications (including IQCS Master Record).

·       College Transcripts if education is required for meeting basic qualifications and/or you are substituting education for specialized experience. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application, however, if selected, an official college transcript will be required.

·       DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) and/or SF-15 Application for 10-point Veteran Preference if claiming Veterans’ Preference or eligibility for appointment under the VRA, VEOA, or 30% Disabled Veterans hiring authority.

·       SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action if you are a current or former Federal employee that will verify your federal status, position title, series and grade. FSA County employees must provide the most recent notification of Personnel Action (Form SF-50-B or FSA-50) that verifies permanent status. Also provide the SF-50 that reflects the highest grade level held on a permanent basis or the full performance level of your current position, whichever is higher.

·       Annual Performance Appraisal if you are a current Federal employee, submit the most recently completed annual performance appraisal (dated within 18 months) which identifies the employee's official rating of record, signed by the supervisor, or a statement advising why the performance appraisal is unavailable. Do not submit a performance plan.

·       Certification of Disability if you are eligible for appointment based on a disability under the Schedule A hiring authority. This certification can be documented by a counselor from a State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency or the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs, by a statement or letter on a physician/medical professionals’ letterhead stationery, or by statements, records, or letters from a Federal Government agency that issues or provides disability benefits. The certification must verify the applicant has a severe disability, is eligible under a Schedule A appointment authority, and he or she is able to perform the essential duties of the position. The certification must also describe any needed reasonable accommodation. You can review additional information at: Federal Employment of People with Disabilities.

·       Proof of Eligibility if you are eligible for appointment based on service in the Peace Corps, Vista, Action Cooperative, or another special authority.

·       CTAP/ICTAP documentation if separated from Federal service or pending separation based on a reduction in force (RIF) or other management workforce reduction action. Proof of eligibility must include a separation notice or Certificate of Expected Separation, SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action or most recent SF-50 (that is not an award), and latest performance appraisal (dated within the last 18 months) or a statement advising why one is unavailable.

·       IQCS Master Record showing your training and qualifications for the position. If an IQCS Master Record is not available, some form of documented proof of training and qualifications will be needed for most positions.

NOTE: If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the Human Resources Office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must upload both the old document and the new document.

Then you will be prompted to review your resume and you will be given the chance to print the application as well. Review it. Submit your application. 

*To qualify for the GS-5 position you must be a qualified FFT1 and have taken S-290.

*Free Advice....create your own resume, don't use the USA Jobs template. Spend some time on your resume, be specific, market yourself well, and double check everything. The government resume should be more of a narrative about your work history.

If you have any questions CONTACT Shane Dillavou 541-377-2403